I am seeking for a research support technician in bioinformatics to work with me at the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences of the Pompeu Fabra University (DEXS-UPF). The selected candidate will work in a world-leading institution with top scientists.
The department has a “Unit of Excellence Maria de Maeztu” Award. There will be many oportunities for networking, inter-group collaborations, career development, and application for grants/fellowships. The selected candidate will work under my supervision, and side-by-side with Arcadi Navarro and Tomas Marques groups in a project that explores the evolutionary history of the genetic causes of the premature closure of cranial sutures (craniosynostosis) in newborns.
The project’s objective is to analyse evolutionary patterns and processes of vertebrate’s genomes and genes related to the pathological condition craniosynostosis. Among other things, the candidate is expected to help designing and perform bioinformatics tests to detect traces of natural selection and other evolutionary processes.
Information on the minimum requirements
• University Degree in Bioinformatics, Evolutionary Genetics, or related fields.
• Strong programming skills, preferably in R and/or Python
• Good communication skills in English
• Willingness to learn and partially work with phenotypic traits (cranial anatomy)
• Capacity to work independently and as part of a team with colleges
• Permit to work in Spain/EU (no support for VISA application is provided)
Benefits of the opening
• Initial 6-month probationary period extended annually for up to 2 additional years (total 2.5 years)
• Gross salary/month of 1700-2200 € (depending on experience) plus Social Security costs
• Workload of 35-hours/week [Full time – exclusive dedication]
• If desired, the candidate will be supported to carry out a PhD at the DEXS-UPF
How to apply?
Send a 1-page motivation letter and a 3-page CV in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected candidates will be interviewed (skype/in person) in December
Envisaged Job Starting Date – 15/01/2019 (negotiable)
Deadline to submit applications – 30/11/2018
For any inquiries contact me directly at email@example.com